The University of Miami Band was first organized in 1933 by Walter E. Shaeffer. Shaeffer was solo clarinetist and concertmaster with the United States Marine Band under John Phillip Sousa. Henry Fillmore, famed composer of band music, adopted the University of Miami Band as his own during the 1950s, and was responsible for the construction of the band’s permanent home – Henry Fillmore Band Hall.
Fred McCall was appointed Director of Bands in 1948 and held the post until his retirement in June 1971, at which time he was awarded the title of Director Emeritus. Under his instruction, The Band of the Hour received its name. At a halftime show at the Orange Bowl in 1948, the band was playing Henry Fillmore’s “The Man of The Hour” march. The announcer spoke over the public address system, “‘The Man of the Hour,’ played by the ‘Band of the Hour’!” This has been our official name ever since.
William B. Russell was appointed Director of Bands in 1972 and held the post until 1991. His successor, Michael Mann, served as Director of the Band of the Hour and Associate Director of Bands from 1991-2000. In 1993, Gary D. Green was named, and remains, Director of Bands at the University of Miami. In 2000, Dr. Michael B. Dressman was appointed Director of the Band of the Hour and served until his retirement in 2004. C. David Ragsdale was appointed interim director for the 2004-2005 school year. He was succeeded by Phillip Clements who served as Associate Director of Bands and Director of the "Band of the Hour" from 2005 - 2008.
Tom Keck joined the University of Miami in 2008 and is now serving as the Associate Director of Bands and Band Director of the "Band of the Hour". We welcome Tom and wish him many years of success at the University of Miami.
To support the University of Miami "Band of the Hour,” with the help of alumni and friends, through advancement, service, and a commitment to the traditions of the University of Miami
Since 1993, the Band of the Hour Association has been drumming up support for the "Band of the Hour." Previously known as the Band of the Hour Club, the Band of the Hour Association has developed numerous fundraisers.
The club initiated the publication of a newsletter to keep friends and alumni up to date with the happenings of the Band of the Hour.
As the association grew into the new millennium, it changed its name from the "Band of the Hour Club" to the "Band of the Hour Association of Alumni and Friends", Inc.
The Band of the Hour Association strives to keep its traditions alive though the traditions of the University of Miami and the "Band of the Hour"
The Band of the Hour Association is an affiliate group of the University of Miami Alumni Association. It is a separate entity from the University of Miami and is comprised of volunteers who give their time and effort to fundraise and support the University of Miami and the Band of the Hour in collaboration with the University, the UMAA, and its respective policies.